Natural beauty welcomes
The area is home to over 100 lakes, rivers and streams that are perfect for fishing, canoeing, and other water-related activities. In the winter, some of these waterways provide links to hundreds of kilometres of snowmobiling trails.
In addition to Bon Echo Provincial Park, there are plenty of campgrounds, cottages and motels in Addington Highlands to serve the needs of the traveler.
- You’ll fall in love with our communities, especially when you learn about how affordable it is to live here! Check out our real estate listings
- In Cloyne, snap a picture on the huge white chair
- Camp, hike and swim at Bon Echo Provincial Park
- Check out local history at Pioneer Museum in Cloyne
- Ride the trails in the L&A Forest in Flinton
- See the largest collection of native pictographs in Ontario on the stunning Mazinaw Rock, in Bon Echo Provincial Park.
- In Cloyne, visit the Walt Whitman Monument where a massive, fading granite poem still remains in tribute to the famous writer.
Location and more details:
The Township of Addington Highlands
72 Edward Street, P.0. Box 89,
Flinton KOH 1PO
A Case for Living in Addington Highlands
Now’s a great time to live rural. Not so far off the beaten path that you’re compromising on convenience. In L&A it’s lakes, rivers, farm fresh food, communities that care and opportunity to grow all within driving distance to larger urban centers. Learn more about life in Addington Highlands.
The Irish heritage of many of the early settlers in Cloyne is reflected in its name, which is taken from a Village in County Cork, Ireland.
Whether you live here year-round or you’ve decided to cottage here, Cloyne is a delightful village. With a number of small shops that provide everything from the essentials to antiques and hunting and fishing gear. At the northern end of the village, you’ll find an oversized wooden white lawn chair. This a perfect photo op for you and 11 of your friends at the same time.
Water lovers will enjoy the small village of Denbigh, with Denbigh, Ashby and other small lakes all close by.
Denbigh is home to approximately 175 year-round residents, along with many seasonal cottages and homes. This tightly knit community host community events that are often better attended then those in communities that are much larger.
- 90 minutes from Napanee
- Known as the jewel at the top of L&A
- Somewhat isolated for those who want a truly rural experience
This hamlet can be found on the beautiful Skootamatta River whose falls were once used to power many mills. The Flinton Creek runs nearby and joins the Skottamatta River downstream of the community.
- Population of about 500 people
- Swim at the famous waterfalls
- A popular spot for kayakers and cyclists
This area’s roots date back to 1857 when it was first settled but really bloomed when the Canadian Pacific Railway came through in 1884.
Today, there are a number of businesses here, many with a long history. One of the most popular spots for locals is the Kaladar Community Centre which is the glue that holds this tight knit community together. The Community Centre houses a number of different things including a youth centre.
- Bence Motors, founded in 1946 still continues to operate as a family-run Ford dealership.
- The Great Trail passes through the community.
- To the north is the quaint town of Northbrook
- Bon Echo Provincial Park is nearby
Small town, big charm.
Sometimes you find the best things in unexpected places. Northbrook is such a community. The nicest folks, the best of rural Ontario and some pretty cool things to see and do.
- Stop into the Kuriosity Shop to see the work of over 25 artists who have their work on display and for sale
- Look up, this is a great spot to observe the night sky
- Great things grow here, from pumpkins to flowers to produce
Resources for business owners
Business owners and entrepreneurs interested in making Addington Highlands the location for their business have access to a full gamut of services from the Lennox & Addington Economic Development Office. Our Business Coaching service is free and confidential and can help familiarize you with the community, and aid in finding the appropriate people and resources to help your business or idea succeed.
The office can also assist with real estate searches, community statistics, as well as grant and financing opportunities. We connect businesses in finding research & development partners to support growth; this could apply innovative technologies to better streamline operations, while always trying to leverage funding to ease the cost burden on the entrepreneur.
Stay in the know! Sign up for our newsletter.